Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fishing Attempts in PA and Ocean City NJ


We went fishing at Raccoon State Park today. Beautiful park & lake. We didn’t catch anything, (naturally!) but it was fun. We’ve just taken up fresh water fishing this year and haven’t caught anything. Probably because we don’t have a clue what we are doing! Vito first tried fishing at Ocean City, New Jersey 7 years ago. He tried surf fishing first…walked out onto the stone fishing jetty there and came back about 10 minutes later with his line in a HUGE tangled ball and this semi-embarrassed, semi-amused look on his face. “City boy going fishing.” was all he said.

The next day he tried fishing in the bay with better results. He caught about 4 or 5 different fish. The only one I could identify was a black sea bass, which scared the crap out of him! We’ve been back to OC every year (except 2003 for some reason) and he hadn’t caught anything til this past September when he caught a small shark (dogfish) and 4 slimy eels. This was the first year I tried to fish at OC and I caught an eel that broke my line. I started crabbing (just for the fun of it) last year and caught a couple crabs. We always (at least so far) let what we catch go. This year I caught 2 medium sized crabs, 2 tiny crabs (fell through the mesh), 1 eel, and 1 fish in my crab pot. I do better when I’m crabbing for fish!

At the end of the last day of Ocean City fishing, we tried EVERYTHING. We had chicken, mackerel, fake salt water bait, etc. We finally tired the bait & lures we had for fishing in PA. One fisherman on the dock cleared his throat and asked us if we knew we were using fresh water bait. We told him yeah, we knew, but since we aren’t catching anything with the proper stuff, we might as well try everything we had. At one point I considered tossing Vito off of the dock, but figured the fish might not like Italian food.

Off to surf the net, then head for bed. Had a “more social than usual” week for me. Will post Picture of Vito & his shark on my next post.

No comments: