Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Plans for Grandbaby & Ramblings on Music & Movies


Here’s one of the pictures I took of the Ocean at Ocean City. It is looking toward the southern end of the island. I miss the beach!

I’m sitting here trying to think of what it will be like when I am a grandma! My son’s fiancée is due around the 2nd week of November, which is coming up fast. I’m thrilled to death, of course, but curious about this next stage in my life. I’ve already planned to be the book grandma, as in supplying the poor kid with all of my favorite books, depending on the age. I plan to start out with The Children’s Bible, a good book of nursery rhymes, a good book of Fairy Tales, Robert Louis Stevenson’s A Child’s Garden of Verses, and Shel Silverstein’s Where the Sidewalk Ends. Just to start. Of course there will also be Clifford & Where the Wild Things are and Good Night Moon, etc. I will have a blast.

I also want to get my grandbaby (and the ones to follow) good kid music CDs with all the classic kid songs. And encourage my son & girlfriend to expose the baby to all sorts of music & experiences. I know my daughter will have the ballet end covered, as she loves it. (Not my cup of tea!) Lot of plans here, huh?

I just think most kids today, 30 and under, just don’t have the experiences and “common” knowledge of things that my generation had. In a way, I think, the almost out of control technology has limited what kids today experience. I know that sounds contradictory, but it rings true to me. It may be because when I was growing up in the late 50’s early 60’s, I had exposure to all kinds of music via TV, radio, my own family’s tastes, and the songs we learned in school. My aunt & uncle, who raised me, where born in 1910 & 1912. My father was born in 1905 and he was a jazz drummer. My uncle played swing. So I was exposed to that music all my life. And in the 60s, radio played everything from Nat King Cole to Peter Paul and Mary to the Rolling Stones. Today there seems to be only one form of music out there at a time that is popular for kids. It was rap for my son and I think it’s Hip Hop now. (I’m out of touch, so that could be way off)

My son, who is 27, will not watch (he says) a black & white movie. He wants color. When Sin City came out I told him that sometimes black & white movies show atmosphere better than color. I tried anyway!!! I want him to see Citizen Kane, Night of the Hunter, etc. I have no trouble with my daughter (31). She loves all kinds of music & movies. Loves the old stars…Audrey Hepburn & Elizabeth Taylor are her favorites. Admittedly, music-wise, my son has broadened his tastes. He now has some Dylan, Cash, & Led Zepplin! (SP)

Well I’ve ranted enough for now. Have to go heat up my coffee and finish the project I have going for my new grandbaby. If it comes out half way decent, I will try to remember to post a pic on here.

1 comment:

Dava said...

*patiently awaiting photo of grandbaby project*....*LOL*